Home     RSSRSS

Auto-rotate applications in Samsung Corby PRO(GT-B5310)

May 25, 2010 by Naman Bagga | Filed under MobiWorld.

Not very recently, in January, I bought a new phone- the Samsung Corby PRO aka GT-B5310, known as the Genio PRO in the UK. The Corby series is great value for money and I'll be posting a review of the phone and reasons for buying it soon.

The phone has a sliding QWERTY keypad and so most of the inbuilt apps and stuff rotates automatically when you slide-out the keypad. If you've been using the Corby PRO for a while, you would've noticed that the additional Java applications you've installed don't have auto-rotate support and its quite a PITA to type with the QWERTY keypad while the display is in portrait mode. Thankfully, there is a solution to this problem. All you need is an archive manager and a text editor. Here's what you need to do-

1. Download the jar file on your computer.
2. Use an archive manager to open it and edit the MANIFEST.MF file found in the META-INF folder.
3. Add these lines at the bottom of MANIFEST.MF to enable support for auto-rotate-

X-Pax-Keyboard: Qwerty
X-Pax-TextInput-Hidden: true
MIDlet-Touch-Support: TRUE
MIDlet-ScreenMode: ROTATE

4. Save the jar archive after making the above changes.

Now transfer the jar file to your phone. But there's a catch here too. The Corby PRO's OS doesn't allow you to install Java applications by just opening jar files from the file manager. The only way to install applications is by downloading them from your phone. But thinking about it carefully, you don't really need to upload the jar file anywhere. All you need to do is create a HTML page and transfer it along with the jar file to your phone. Opening the HTML page from your phone will open it using the phone's web browser and you won't need GPRS to install the application. Here's what you need to do to create the html file-

1. Open a text editor like notepad.
2. Write this in the file-

<html>
<body>
<a href="<insert filename here>">Install Application</a><br>
</body>
</html>

Replace with the name of the jar file; for example, if you are installing the IM client Palringo and the file name is Palringo.jar, the code would be-

<html>
<body>
<a href="Palringo.jar">Install Application</a><br>
</body>
</html>

3. Save the file with a .html extension and give it any name like installer.html

Now when you open the HTML file from your phone, you'll see a Install Application link. Clicking on it will install the Jar file you just edited. I managed to get all the applications I use to auto-rotate like this apart from those ones which don't let you download the jar file from your computer. This should work for all applications. If you face any problems, feel free to leave a comment.

← Previous

Tags: , , , , , , ,

125 Responses to “Auto-rotate applications in Samsung Corby PRO(GT-B5310)”

1. VICKSON says:

i got the answer for auot rotate in samsung corby pro.
    but in that solution ,they used to do the followng...

1. Download the jar file on your computer.
    X-Pax-Keyboard: Qwerty
    X-Pax-TextInput-Hidden: true
    MIDlet-Touch-Support: TRUE
    MIDlet-ScreenMode: ROTATE
    4. Save the jar archive after making the above changes.

here in 2 ,edit the MANIFEST.MF and add these lines at the bottom
    X-Pax-Keyboard: Qwerty
    X-Pax-TextInput-Hidden: true
    MIDlet-Touch-Support: TRUE
    MIDlet-ScreenMode: ROTATE

but i can't edit that MANIFEST.MF file
    i need a solution for this please........

2. His Highness Sajjad says:

Thanks a trillion times...

3. corbylover says:

how can i save the folder back to jar?i have winrar. please help

4. Vasanth says:

Hi, i tried that, but i am getting msg like failed '' invalid content''..plz help me..thanks in advance...

5. nitin says:

hi u help me for auto rotate using sensor in my phone plzzzzzz

6. lloydoftherings says:

can u please send the edited/updated jar file to my email?
    i can't seem to do it right, cuz i dont have a proper acrhive updater.
    if u send the jar i can simply follow the rest of the steps and install it
    thanks in advance.

7. Pratik says:

Its not working the file gets opened in pdf reader in my mobile_ corby gtb5310

8. Nikhil says:

hay guys i want to sell my corby pro
    if anyone is interested let me know

9. mohit says:

hi every one

if any body has updated open source code of original file reader to better handling and navigation for samsung corby pro

please let me know..........

10. sugam says:

i tried this and this method also rotated the games but they do not fix on my screen tell something pleasr

11. sugam says:

how can i make a link of games and apps to the main menu in my corby pro

12. V T says:

Hi, found ur article very helpful...but i hv a question.. i m using corby pro and how can i change the screen orientation o an app such as operamini from portrait to landscape when i rotate the phone (not by sliding the keypad)?
    is thr any way?

13. abhinav says:

thnx a lottttttttttt bro.. i was rily fed up of changing the orientation of screen frm settings.. i tried this and it worked... and evn the process of installing apps.. thnx buddy

14. Dondon john says:

HI...I already did that auto rotate but it still doesnt work...I edited the file but when I check it back on notepad nothing change...like it was not edited...can you help me about this?

15. Pashant says:

hey i got error of "invalid file" all thing i do as u say plz help me....

16. Pashant says:

And file size is decrease when i create jar file after changing it. is it ok?

• Aman says:

don create a jar.... download the jar file.... dont xtarct it jz do right clik n open it... modify the meanfest file n save it.... thats ol

17. uniquestyle says:

can any one tell me how to edit MANIFEST.MF. i ve try it with notepad bt i really dont have any idea after editing with notepad

• Aman says:

open it with notepad then at the bottom of the page paste the script n save it.... thats all....

n one more thing dont extract the jar file just open it wid winrar n save it....otherwise it'll not work

18. Akshay says:

thanks a lot dude....but if you cant change the controls for the games like street fighters....look i can use arow keys to move but for diff. but there are 4 action keys nd i dont know which are those...so plz if you can tell how to set the game control keys according to us as we do it in normal pc games

19. How to use motion sensing in installed games?

20. Madheen ahmed.a says:

Hi Naman, may i know how to download motion ,shaking games. In which website will be able to download these kind of games.... please help me:-):-):).

21. Madheen ahmed.a says:

Hi guys, I am very new to this mobile nearly it would be one week so i don't know anything about so could you help by referring some of the new options and i don't have computer to edit this.:-). so if some of you have the edited one can you send it to infomadheen13@gmail.com please help a friend:-)......11

22. Prasad says:

Hai naman and all. i am using Samsung corby pro. the best games sites are (koolwap.in) in tha go to games and application , and type in the space as touch . so you get so many touch games for corby pro. i have no computer . so please send the auto rotate games to my id. (bujjiprasad5515@gmail.com) thanks in advance. don't forget. please send the games or games sites.

23. mears says:

Great job. Well done. Now my applications are full screen and rotate when we slide keyboard.
    But can you make applications auto rotate like when we see pictures and to rotate we only need to turn the phone?

24. kemon says:

like it broooooo :)

25. nitin says:

can u please... tell me how to get auto rotate in corby 2

26. ubair says:

when i open the html file it shows install application but when i click on it it shows no existing contents ... please help . my email : uubair@gmail.com

27. I’m not that much of a online reader to be honest but your sites really nice,
    keep it up! I'll go ahead and bookmark your site to come back down the road. Cheers

28. Boyce says:

Now I am going away too do my breakfast, when
    having my breakfast coming again to read more news.

29. Spot on with this write-up, I honestly think this
    web site needs faar more attention. I’ll prdobably be returnimg to read
    more, thanks for the information!

30. Hey there! I could have sworn I've been to this blog before
    but after reading through sme of the post I realized it's new
    to me. Anyways, I'm definitely happy I found it and I'll be book-marking and checking back frequently!

31. J'écris un рetit cߋmmentaire dans le but dde cߋmplimenter
    l'admin

32. Јe siis clairement еn équation avec vous

33. J'ai trouvé ϲe post par chaոce puis je ne le regrette point !!!

34. Sharyn says:

Ӎagnhifique poste, j'espère en discuter demain avec certains de
    mes collègues